Pages of Awesome

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Blog Kickoff! - Whispered Roars

Hey guys! Seems I finally got myself a blog! Woohoo!

So, what can you expect from this blog? Glad you asked because as of now I am not entirely sure myself. Here are some things that you will most certainly find;

Writing - I will always be talking about it. It is what I do! From time to time I will also post story excerpts and the like.

Reading - Book reviews, recommendations, promotional posts, etc. All of which will be found on this blog from time to time

Randomness from the life of Nathan - what blog would be good without it?


So that's what you can expect.


Now...to answer a question I'm sure many of you are asking right now. Why "Whispered Roars"? What is the meaning of that? Here's my devotional for the day.


During the course of my small little life I've noticed some things.

  1. There are 6.7 billion people in this world

  2. There are approximately 2 billion Christians

Those are some pretty big numbers aren't they? Yeah...thought so.

So then I started to ask myself how many of those people are crying out to God at this very moment? How many? How many of them have real problems in life?

The numbers start to creep up to me. Let's be nice and say that only a few hundred million people are praying to God this very second. That's a pretty conservative number I'd say.

So if a hundred million Christians are crying out to God, asking and begging Him to step in and act on their behalf what right do I have to add to the noise? I start to feel insignificant. There's definitely more people out there with more and worse problems than I have, or ever shall, face.

Will God even hear me?

The question is a torturous one to ask for those weak of faith, and even for the strong ones it is humbling.

I consider myself and my life simply a whisper in a roar. I'm one voice whispering a prayer in the midst of 6 billion cries. I'm nothing special. I'm just small little Nathan.

But do you want to know what the cool thing is?

God hears.

2 Chronicles 20:9

If calamity comes upon us, whether the sword of judgement, or plaugue or famine, we will stand in your presence before this temple that bears your Name
and will cry out to you in our distress, and you will hear us and save us.

God hears the troubled.

Psalm 145:19

He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him;He also will hear their cry and save them.

God hears the faithful.

Isaiah 41:17

“The poor and needy seek water, but there is none, Their tongues fail for thirst. I, the LORD, will hear them; I, the God of Israel, will not forsake them.

God hears the needy.

Isaiah 65:24

“It shall come to pass That before they call, I will answer; And while they are still speaking, I will hear."
God hears before we cry.

What then shall I say?

"...I will look to the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation; My God will hear me." Micah 7:7

God hears the whisper in the roar.

So speak in a whisper, and let your words be a roar.

Imitate the Lamb
May your voice resound like the Lion

Speak in whispered roars


31 comments:

Seth said...

Congrats! And that's SO true about the whisper in the roar.

Nathan R. Petrie said...

Thanks Seth!
I've always been quite fond of that phrase. Coined it myself I did. I've written poems, and songs, and more using it lol

Perhaps I shall post them sometime.

Anonymous said...

About time you get a blog.

~Wayne

Nathan R. Petrie said...

haha Wayne

You like it then? :P

Seth said...

Not Batson right?

Nathan R. Petrie said...

Right...it's a friend from school

Barie-ah Hue-en-la said...

I didn't know you're a preacher. lol.
Nice post Nathan. I don't personally like the layout/style of the blog. It looks just like your website. I was hoping for something new.

Nathan R. Petrie said...

haha...thanks Barie. My dad's a preacher...maybe I've got some of it in me lol

The blog is a work in progress. I just chose the first layout I saw.

Suggestions? I odn't know how to do fancy stuff like you (and would prefer something simpler lol)

Pais Charos said...

I like the layout...

Great post, Nathan! Whispered roars, I like that :)

Modeltrainman said...

Nice blog, Nathan!

Ian said...

I liked the post, but a couple things I have to disagree on...(there's always that one person, isn't there? :P)

The part where you said "I'm nothing special" - I'm fairly sure you didn't mean that as "I'm totally insignificant in every way and absolutely just like everyone else", but when anyone truly prays, it is extremely powerful and not at all insignificant. God hears everyone, and He can hear you as if you were the only one speaking. There may be people with bigger problems, but that doesn't mean you are any less important or significant when you are before God: God has a plan for everyone's life, and there are things that you and only you can do if you choose (getting back to the "nothins special" part :P)

I don't think you meant to imply any opposition to what I'm saying, but I felt a need to throw it in.

:)Ian(:

Ryan said...

Wow, Nathan! That was a beautiful, heartfelt explanation. Brings me to tears to think about God's love for us. And Ian, if I may speak for my son, I believe that was the whole point he was making. That while we "feel" that we are insignificant, just a whisper that couldn't be heart, to God we are of ultimate significance, so our whisper is heard clearly and deeply where we are.

Praise God!

Gwendolyn said...

Great post, Nathan:)It's always comfoting to be reminded just how closely our heavenly Father [i]does[/i] listen to us, even when we feel totally alone.

As always, blessings.
Gwendolyn

Anonymous said...

Nice, Nathan. First blog post was a hit!

-daughteroflight

Nathan R. Petrie said...

Ian, yup...my dad summed up what I meant. The point of the post was to say that though at times we may feel small and unimportant, our whisper is heard amidst the roar.

Pais Charos, glad you liked the layout. I think Barie was saying that it was similar to my website :P lol But I went ahead and changed it anyway. And on a side note...David's making me a banner ;)

Thanks to everyone that found and then commented on my blog.
Glad to know people are reading lol

Thanks a lot Dad :D

Anonymous said...

"...I will look to the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation; My God will hear me." Micah 7:7

Yes thank you Lord for hearing my crys!!
Nathan once again the window to your soul has been opened. I'm glad to have crawled through to share in this moment with you!

Love you Na-Na
Mom

Seth said...

Nice banner

Nathan R. Petrie said...

Thank ILH for that one Seth.
Didn't she do an awesome job?

Seth said...

Yep! Hey, I know this is kinda unrelated, but have you read my new posts yet? I don't mean to rush.

Nathan R. Petrie said...

I haven't gotten around to it yet. I know I said I would...but it seems I keep forgetting.

I'll try to tonight if I feel I can provide good feedback.

Seth said...

That's OK, you can do it when you feel like it. Anyway, I got to get back to writing, my story just forced me to go back to the battlescene, where all the fun stuff happens lol

Storyteller said...

Very nice! I am excited for you! Yes, the banner makes it look so much better. Well done! May God guide your pen, and may your blog continue in it's success!

Nathan R. Petrie said...

Thanks ST!

Tim Blake said...

wow nathan! 23 (24 now) comments on your first post! that's more comments than i've EVER gotten on my blog! you're a success. just don't let it all go to your head and always use your powers for good and not for evil. :)

see you buddy!

Nathan R. Petrie said...

haha Thanks Tim...great power...great responsibility right? lol

Cloe said...

How true!!!! It is nice to be reminded of how much our Lord loves us.

I like your blog.

Seth said...

A gathering place of words is where thee shall go to find what you search for. Elven names is where you will find your next clue.

Nathan R. Petrie said...

What are you talking about Seth? lol

Seth said...

Getting you more followers lol, I can't exactly say what it is here.

Millardthemk said...

Lol

Nathan R. Petrie said...

can't say I catch your drift my friend ;) Care to FB me?

"Stand tall now and proclaim what you have seen, speak in whispered roars..."