Pages of Awesome

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Group Writing - The Underground Edition


How many of you love to write? Most of you do I believe, if not....give it a shot. I dare you.

For those of you who do love to write, and actually for those who do not, have you ever participated in a group writing project/game? Typically I refrain from such activities, as I find them distracting and generally discouraging, but I seem to have found one story that works for me.

The Official-Un-Official Story of the Underground

That's right, I'm an elf.

For those of you who do not know, there are a certain two amazing authors that have begun their own forum--for a book not yet released. Who are the authors? None other than Wayne Thomas Batson and Christopher Hopper themselves! Not heard of them? You will. Their books are amazing!

So this forum is called the Underground and is for a new series the two guys have coauthored entitled The Berinfell Prophecies. The first book is The Curse of the Spider-King, currently ranked at about 600 on the top Amazon sales list. That's higher than Ted Dekker's latest novel Green.

Cool stuff.

So this forum, The Underground, is growling rapidly and one of the big things we members do on there is write. Most of us are writers, and most are descent enough if not all, and so we have begun a group writing project.

And I'm actually enjoying it.

The way we do it is different from the other ones I have tried before. In here, we each control our own characters...and that's it. We write for the story and not to show off our skills. Often our writing stinks but it doesn't matter. In this case it's all about the story...not the skill with which the tale was written.

It's very encouraging for me. The story is original enough, though it would likely fall under the category of fan-fiction, but the Christian writer fellowship is amazing. I love bouncing ideas off people.

Which makes me think I may have coauthoring in my horizon.

So that's that.

If you'd like to read our lovely story you can check it out here. The beginning, most of it, is on the first post...the rest is on page two.

For reference purposes...my character's name is Theodore.

Now, time for some reading suggestions.

Like I said, this forum is for authors Wayne Thomas Batson and Christopher Hopper. And their book is coming out shortly.

This book looks to be one of the best I've ever read.

Which means it will likely be the best you might ever read.

So you should buy it...now!

Seriously though, from the things I've read and heard about this book (which received a silver Moonbeam Award for teen fiction) I have the feeling that I'm going to be blown away. So you should give it a try with me.

The link to the Amazon page is in the picture. Also, those who order today get signed book plates (it's a bit late for today...but they will probably give you them anyhow).

So what shall we talk about? Here's an idea. Tell me about any group writing you've done, what you thought of it, if it was encouraging, and if you'd do it again.

I absolutely am having a ton of fun with the story on the Underground. But I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Chat me up :D

25 comments:

Ian said...

*sighs*

I was enjoying the forum at first, and was looking forward to sharing some writing there (as my usernmae ind of implied :P) but after I had to drop out of the treasure hunt because of that one clue, I haven't gotten on much...and it's blocked on my school laptop...:(

:)Ian(:

Seth said...

Sweet publicity! Yeah, it's been fun writing with ya, I hope I'll participate in the next one, but schools caught up to me, I'll comment more on the post tomorrow, gtg to bed now.

Nathan R. Petrie said...

Ian, who are you on the forum? :P lol Seems I forgot.

Seth, yeah. It's been so stinking awesome! I don't like the idea of doing a different one. I'd much rather continue with the one we're doing now lol

Seth said...

Yea, I think so too, but I'm not sure how much further we can go with this one. I think I need an all new character is what it is, I think I'll kill off my two right now and then just make one more..

Nathan R. Petrie said...

You're probably right...maybe next time we can move from fan fiction to something original lol

Seth said...

lol, That would be fun, we all just come up with some ideas and see what we get?

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea, Seth!

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who loves the group story! I think that there's a TON we can do with it.

Gotta go! See ya later on The Underground! (And don't start the battle scene until tomorrow! Please!)

daughteroflight

Nathan R. Petrie said...

DOL, the battle is out of my control...seems Sir Horizon had to sacrifice himself for a knight who decided to burn to death :P

Seth said...

lol, I came back though, and never did I die, I retained my consciousness.

Nathan R. Petrie said...

Seth, I know..just messing with ya lol

You shouldn't have died the first time. Someone, was it Israle?, decided to kill you :P lol

I believe Theodore brought you back :P

Seth said...

Na, I killed myself, and no one brought me back, I did. Everybody got mad because it was so cheesy lol

Nathan R. Petrie said...

What?? When did this happen?

Seth said...

Aren't you talking about a long time ago when... oh, no, I already had in mind the ash men thing, I thought you were letting yourself come back to life when you did that thing.

Nathan R. Petrie said...

When I said "seems Sir Horizon had to sacrifice himself for a knight who decided to burn to death" I was referring to the ashmen

When I said "You shouldn't have died the first time. Someone, was it Israle?, decided to kill you :P lol

I believe Theodore brought you back"

I was referring to a long time ago when... lol

Now...what do YOU mean by "letting yourself back to life when you did that thing" lol

Seth said...

A LONG time ago when we were doing the first story in the cave I was killed and I came back to life, that's what I was referring to but it doesn't really matter.

Anonymous said...

OH! I remember that!! That was wierd. lol

DoL

Nathan R. Petrie said...

Yeah...that scene started the whole "Don't control other people" thing 'cause someone else killed seth lol

So we eneeded to bring him back :P

Seth said...

No one has ever killed me, I had myself killed by Faragor.

Pyrosian Heir said...

i could introduce a new charater if i can have he can have pyromantic abilities... which is what i would LOVE to use if i could use any.

Nathan R. Petrie said...

haha...well....my character makes whatever he wants so technically you COULD do that lol :D

pyrosian heir said...

SWEET!!! bee tee dubs, i's ben

Millardthemk said...

Nathan are you going to make a new post soon? I look foreward to it!

Nathan R. Petrie said...

Hey Millard! Glad to finally see you one here!

I assume you've read my latest posts?

What kind of post would you like me to do next? I'm waiting around for a little bit, yeah...I've been slow, but if you can come up with a topic I'll blog it for ya ;) lol

Millardthemk said...

Why the best kind! As you put it"musings for the King". The ones that can have eternal value:)

Nathan R. Petrie said...

haha...hmmmmm perhaps I shall shortly. Give me at least until vacation is up :P

"Stand tall now and proclaim what you have seen, speak in whispered roars..."