Pages of Awesome

Monday, January 4, 2010

New New Year Resolutions


Once upon a time a crazy lady thought up the idea of doing new year resolutions. If you do not know what these incredibly painful things are, I will explain them to you.

New Year's Resolutions typically fall in one of the following categories;

  • Starving yourself to death
  • Shutting out the joyous wonders of an Oreo McFlurry's
  • Sweating large amounts of liquids so that you can loose much of your natural body
  • And running in circle
As you can see (especially by the first one) these are horrible, horrible, ideals. Why would anyone on earth want to try and make something similar to them? You don't understand? I know, me either. They are EVIL.

So I thought that I would try and be different and actually make a resolution possible to follow through with and one that will not cause me any pain and misery at all (as sweating, starving, and resisting ice-cream would do). It is very plain, simple, boring perhaps. But it is definitely the better choice from among the options.

Finish my novel.

For me, this is a simple goal to reach. In fact, I go so far as to say that if it is NOT finished by the end of January. I will give myself two additional weeks, in which ALL I will do is write. Should I somehow fail, I will do nothing but type over Spring break.

That's the plan of action, and hopefully it will not go so far as Spring Break. I do plan to finish this month. It will be done :)

It's the start of the new decade, and so I thought maybe I'd make some decade-ial resolutions. Again, plain and simple.

Publish, and promote, Redemption's Journey. Ten years is a long while. There's not a doubt in my mind that it will happen. Hopefully more will be completed and published as well.

Yeah it is a big dream. But I do think it could happen. You have got to aim at the moon right?

That being said, what are YOUR resolutions? The start of a new decade. New year. New Month. New day. What's the plan? Let's hear it.

And no Anti-McFlurry cultists :P

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mine is to finish editing, rewriting, and finding an agent for my novel: White Fog

Jessica said...

Edit my novel until I feel it is ready, start a serious outline of the one bugging my brain, keeping me room that never wants to stay clean in a neater order, I can't promise clean but I will try!

Ryan said...

Mine is to focus on "putting the big rocks in first" ;) That and doing a better job at encouraging my son's amazing talents and passions. Love you Nathan!

Storyteller said...

There is a very simple way to resolve the dilemma of New Year resolutions. Do not have one. :)

But since you have more confidence in resolutions than I do, I shall cheer you on as you complete your book. Keep at it. Endurance and victory.

Gwendolyn said...

I didn't make any New Year's resolutions, and on purpose too. But one of the things I want to get done this year is the first draft of my sci-fi/fantasy novel, as well as re-do the book I've already written.

Barie-ah Hue-en-la said...

Good luck on that Keeneye! As for my New Year's resolution . . . Well, it's a long story but here goes . . .

My dream is to write a book and get it published. I have started writing a novel I (currently) call Pelacual. Amoung other things I have done very detailed character studies. My character Peryl has an extreme irrational phobia.
Late in 2009 I caught the swine flu. I had all the normal symptoms, and an extra.
I have the habit of reading before bed. The first night I had the flu I fell asleep with a book in my hand. The fever woke me up at two AM. And then I thought every word I had read was totally true. I had a temporary case of insanity- an extreme irrational phobia that some evil warrior was going to come and kill me. I had these panic attacks every night while I had the flu. I had experience the plight I had bestowed on Peryl.
This was no coincedence. God must have had a hand in it. So now I wonder, was that a sign to write the book or a warning that I shouldn't? As much as I'd hate to give up my dream of writing, to continue without God's blessing would be much worse. 
So my New Year's resolution is to learn more about God, learn his ways so I can understand what all this means.

Nathan R. Petrie said...

Anonymous, right there with you ;)

Jessica, last year I made the room resolution. It actually worked out for me lol

Thanks Dad :)

ST, now that's just not American :P What are we gonna do with you? lol

Awesome Gwen! Hope things work out for ya!

Barie, interesting experience. I'm not sure what it could mean. But I trust you'll find the truth should you seek it out :)

Also, those of you wishing to publish a novel. There is a great press called Flaming Pen Press (flamingpenpress.com) and shortly they may be opening to novella submissions. I'm entering one I think. Some of you should try as well ;)

Storyteller said...

What can I say? I am Narnian.
Ah, I might have guessed you would send your story there. I do hope it works out for you. That is very exciting!

Nathan R. Petrie said...

ST, you need to help me get to Narnia. I've tried...but I keep getting stuck in a wardrobe <_<

Well the novella isn't TSOF. It'd be a different story ;)

Celebrilomiel said...

Hmm... I've pretty much given up making 'resolutions', because I always forget about them by Valentine's Day. =P
But I have set a few goals for the year (not that there's much difference between 'resolutions' and 'goals').
- Read the Bible on a consistent, daily basis. I really laxed out on reading the Word this past year... and I want to change.
- Finish my 2009 NaNoWriMo novel
- Participate in NaNoWriMo again this year, and make or surpass 75,000 words
- Spend more time with my family

Jessica said...

Nathan, are you sure it was a crazy lady? :)

Sonbeam3 said...

Nathan,
Just curious. What is ACFW? Is it a writer's conference? We're always on the lookout for good ones that are faith based. Thanks.

Nathan R. Petrie said...

Celeb, right there with you for most all of those :)

Jessica, not 100%. Just a random guess

Sonbeam3, ACFW is the American Christian Fiction Writers (acfw.com). From what I've heard from people in the "know" they host THE best writer's conferences in the country for Christian writing. This year the conference will be held in Indianapolis. Being just a few hours away, I'm TOTALLY going.

Christian Miles said...

Good post, Nathan. My resolution is to continue down the road to being published. I'm not making "get published" a priority, though, because I know how long that can take for some people.

Yes, ACFW is pretty cool. I joined the other day and now think the acronym stands for A Confusing Fiction Website. I can't wait 'til the conference! I'll get to meet you! haha :P

:)

Nathan R. Petrie said...

Thanks Chris :)
That's a good way to think of it. I think I read your explanation on your blog or something. But hey, if you write that novella ;)

Well yeah, their main site is confusing enough. No prices ::pokes:: Do you have any idea yet? I forget if you told me lol

Bunking with ya foshizzle lol

"Stand tall now and proclaim what you have seen, speak in whispered roars..."