Pages of Awesome

Friday, September 24, 2010

Back into Swing....

Well it's been a while since I've made a legit blog post and for that I apologize. Ever since the media fast I've been having trouble getting back into the cyber world (or am I improving in life?? hmmmm lol). And what with joining the marching band, academic team, and all sorts of other activities I've been fairly swamped. So much so that my writing time has again been forfeit.

What kind of writer am I?

Anyhow, in my Language Arts class we've recently been given an assignment to "improve our happiness". Not really sure how this fits with core content or language arts but that topic will be saved for another School Chat post.

So I wanted to do something deep and life changing. Something that would effect the world for ages to come. Something my class mates and teachers could remember me for years from now. And then the day to decide my happiness "goal" came and I had come up with..........

Absolutely nothing.

So out of my mouth jumped the first and easiest thing I could think of--get back into writing.

I have a short story and novel to write and obviously expanding The Guardian's Tree into The Chains of Hethra to work on and I've done very, very little on any of these projects. Seems I typically burn out after 10,000 words and then I'm hard pressed to get started again. My break from writing has been far too long. It was helpful, but now that helpfullness is worn out.

I'm still going to break in the TCOH writing because I'm stuck on some plot issues but I have an excellent short story idea I'd love to finish and submit to the Scholastic Art and Writing awards.

So hey, I can write a story in two weeks. This will be my project!

The way this works is that I'm going to blog every day about what I did on this project and, because I'll be using this blog, tid-bits about the craft of writing. I was supposed to start Monday but, being the Master of All-Things-Procrastinated, I put off getting started.

Here's what I've done so far:
  • Outlined the opening scenes
  • Thought long and hard about the story

And that's about it :-) But it's all I really need to get started.

How is your all's writing going? What's the weirdest assignment you've ever been given?

Oh! And don't forget to enter for the Dekker shirt if you're interested!

To the end,

Nathan

9 comments:

Jake said...

Heh heh...I was just given a writing assignment...to write a research paper on 'Dragons, the Bible, etc'. I haven't decided what to call it... :) But I didn't want to research what the lang. arts book told me to, so my mom vetoed it. XD

My writing? Well, ye asked... :) My writing, lucky me, is progressing and getting better. And I have 32,000 words on my third novel. :D I should finish it before November...which is good, since I plan to do NaNoWriMo.

♥Bleah♥Briann♥ said...

Glad to hear from you... wow you have been busy!

Love,
Bleah Briann

Galadriel said...

Great to see you back!

Squeaks said...

Excellent! Great to see you back again :)

Well, my writing is coming along very very nicely. I just hit and passed the 10,000 word mark (yippee *dances in a circle*) and I can totally agree with what you've said about it being hard to get past that point. I consider it a great moment of celebration that I actually want to still write my story now lol XD

Hmm...weirdest writing assignment. I can't think of anything other than a grade 10 science assignment. It was the first week of school, or something like that (I'm homeschooled but I did an online course) so I had to hand in an assignment about how I thought spectacles were first invented and who invented them. The options were essay format, slide show, or story format. I chose to write a story...it was dumb, now that I look back at it, but my teacher loved it and gave me 100% so I guess that works (and no, my teacher wasn't my mom lol)


Signed with glee,

Squeaks.

Noah said...

Welcome back!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! My secret weapon for writing is exactly what you said- Thinking #1, and then outlining things in my head. I get ALL of my best ideas that way, and I'm not exaggerating.

My writing is going great! In fact, I just wrote about 1,000 words, and came up with the best idea I've had in a while! (Sometimes you just have to write a little, then your characters will solve all of your problems in the plot.) Seriously, this idea helped me a TON with my second plot line, so I'm really excited right now.

What I recommend you doing is to read a good book, think up awesome things for your book, but don't write. Wait to write until your fingers literally are itching and nothing can keep you away from the computer (or paper, or whatever). Then, block out a good hour or two into your schedule and just write. That's what I do, and my writing is the better for it.

Weirdest assignment.... Well, I once had to do a story about one of my pets from their perspective, and that was a lot of fun to do. I made him have the coolest personality!!

Happy Writing!
daughteroflight

Andrew K. York said...

My writing's coming along slowly. I'm rewriting my first novel, I plan to make many changes as I go. I hope finish this draft this school year...I really hope I can!

Mrs. Ring said...

So reflect on something for me:

What are the challenges for you specifically in taking on this particular "quest"?

What makes this any different from any other story you've worked on before?

What do you expect to gain from this journey?

Nathan R. Petrie said...

@Jake, that sounds like an awesome project! Let me know if you need any help :D

32K rocks dude! Congrats! Are you shooting for 50 or more or just letting the story flow?

@BB, Thanks! I've been extremely busy and my writing has suffered LOL Thankfully I'm getting back into it :D

@Squeaks, WOOT! 10K is a HUGE mile-marker! And if you press on from there, it just gets better and better :D

Ben Franklin did bifocals right? So who did the first glasses? Sounds kinda fun :D lol

@DOL, GREAT! I love that feeling of knowing you have an excellent story idea :D And yeah, I totally agree about characters solving problems. I've been dumb and have been writing really ridged stories lately that I haven't let characters guide much LOL I've been molding them :D

Thanks for the advice! My fingers got itchy a few days ago and I plowed through a few thousand words. STOKED! And actually, when I read fiction I find it really hard to write. But when I read non-fiction I"m set. So that's what I"m doing :D Non-fiction FTW LOL

I wrote a story from a bear's perspective! He woke up during hibernation to snow o.O Pretty funny lol

@Andrew, I hope you can too dude!!!

@Mrs. Ring, I'll tackle this in another post :D

"Stand tall now and proclaim what you have seen, speak in whispered roars..."