Pages of Awesome

Sunday, October 10, 2010

RowMar: Part 4 - The Christ Figure


EDIT: I lost a paragraph while writing this. Excuse any bumpiness. I had to try to guess what I wrote. Enjoy.

Four more posts left in this series and I'm still going strong! The next questions get up close and personal. For those of you who haven't heard my story yet....stay tuned!

These questions come from the first post of the RowMar series and I'm gonna jump right into them. If you hadn't noticed...I'm getting tired :-)

Do you see yourself - the hero - as a Christ-like figure?

This project is designed to view ourselves as being the hero in our own Hero's Journey. If you aren't familiar with this literary term I'd suggest you read the previous link. Basically, it's the pattern that most questing stories follow.

In my personal quest, do I see myself has a Christ-like figure?

Depends on the context. I'd like to think of myself as Christ-like in all situations. I certainly strive to be the image of Christ in all that I do. Does that mean that I write just like Christ would? Uh no. Not so much. I think he'd be a better writer.....oh wait....he wrote the number one bestselling book of all time <_<

Once the book releases, though, I can start viewing myself as more of the Christ figure. I am writing this story, after all, for the lost and to encourage the believers.

I can't wait for the release. I can't wait to see how God's going to use this work to change people's lives. I can't wait to read the emails from new creations. New family members in Christ. I can't wait to read how this work encouraged a believer and he shared it with them and that opened communication lines and now he's born again. I can't wait to hear the stories.

Am I cocky? Maybe. I'm pretty confident that The Chains of Hethra will dramatically effect people. The idea is just so....perfect. I'm praying that God will dictate the words I write so that people read it and their lives are changed for the better.

I'm praying this book effects believers' lives enough for them to step out and start living their faith. And what I really hope happens, is that the teen Christians that read this will share it with their lost friends. And then use this to lead them to Christ.

How cool would that be?

As I'm writing, however, I see myself more as the characters I'm writing about. I'm the lost man that denies Alvar. I'm the captive that refuses tot be freed of his chains. I'm the Damans. I'm enchained. I scorn the light and love the darkness.

And I desperately need Alvar to set me free.

However, once he frees(ed) me my response needs to be in following with Alvar's words:

“Wait here, child.”
He shook his head. “Why?”
The man inclined his head toward the threshold of the chamber. “There are captives that are yet bound. Damans that hunt the shadows.”
“I cannot free them.”
Alvar smiled playfully and shoved Barron forward. “Alone you cannot. Bear your sword and you may release them of their chains. Tell them to come to this Tree. I will free them of this world. And when I am ready for you, I will come.”
“I will stay as well.”
Barron turned as a man, sandy blonde hair blowing gently in the breeze, stepped out of the crowd. The man ran to Alvar’s feet. Clasping his hands he knelt before his deliverer, head bowed.
“I will serve you in rescuing the captives.”
May this be my response.

To the end,
Nathan

2 comments:

Mrs. Ring said...

You have very high expectations for your work and I truly hope you reach every one of them. It will be exciting to say we knew you when . . . Your passion is simply . . . religious.

Reflect a moment on this (for even Christ on his quest had a moment of fear in the Garden) what if your hopes are turned inside out?

What would your hero do if he lost the final battle of his quest?

Nathan R. Petrie said...

Just gonna toss the remaining blogs down here:

I do have high expectations. And, in my mind, without high expectations I have no right or reason to try and publish something. Why would I do something half-hearted? It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. If I'm going to do something, I want to do it right. I want to do it my best. And I want to do it, in all honestly, better than anyone else.

Does that mean I succeed? Not so much. But the expectation makes doing them worthwhile. And it helps push me toward excellence.

I hope I reach them too :-)

Well my passion is, as you say, "religious" but it is equally for my writing. I wrote stories before I decided I should tie them in with my faith. I started writing a Lord of the Rings style tale in fourth grade (and I was still writing it up until last year haha). The story had no connection to my faith whatsoever. In all actuality, it was a Lord of the Rings knock off. Replace the Ring with a Sword (keep the Hobbits) and you’ve got my story. But over time the two passions combined and I became an obsessive allegory writer.

I want to write so stinking well. I also want to follow Christ so stinking well. I want to look at him when I day and fall at his feet when I hear him say, “Well done.” I think I’d crumble into a mushy ball if he says that. But that’s the goal. Combining these two passions, my love of Christ and my love of words, was the perfect scenario for my life.

Before I get too far into this, let's first clarify something. Jesus did NOT have a moment of fear. Fear is the opposite of faith. And there really isn't any evidence that Christ experienced fear. He obviously wasn't "sweating blood" because of the cross. Why? Because his followers gladly went to their deaths singing songs, some of them by crucifixions. Are we to believe that Christ’s followers were braver than he? I think not. Jesus, rather, was stressed out about facing the full "cup" of God's wrath.

I think his human body was coming to terms with what exactly he would be facing, spiritually not physically, and simply couldn't take it. He was shaken to the core. Not fear. Logical stress. Hebrews actually states that Christ had faith that God would raise him. And faith and fear don't add up. They're opposites. So it's one or the other.

Anywho, back on topic :D

If my plans fail, I'll be forced to get back up and try again. I have no other skill that I've developed so far as my writing. So if I fail, I'll have to follow something of similar fields (not that I’m sad about this. I LOVE writing). I've considered several "fall-back" options. Librarian, lit-teacher, critic, editor, etc. But I'd need to stay in the Language Arts department. It's just kind of my thing.

If my hero lost a battle he would cry about it and then try again. He'd whine, complain, scream at the sky, but eventually he would realize how dumb that was and stand back up to fight. Losing one battle doesn't mean you lose the war. Pick up another weapon and fight.

If he lost the FINAL battle...well, there's not another battle after that then is there? And so what's does it matter what he does? :D

"Stand tall now and proclaim what you have seen, speak in whispered roars..."