Pages of Awesome

Sunday, October 10, 2010

RowMar: Part 5 - Fuel to Write


So those of you who follow this blog will catch something pretty familiar on here.

::drum roll::

My testimony!

A while back I posted this video and it received a great response. And so, naturally, I'm excited to share it with you all again.

Except now it's for a school project. Much more official-like.

As with the previous posts, this is all in response to questions my Language Arts teacher asked me on this blog. And this post's question is:

Describe yourself on your quest - what tools, skills, previous experiences do you bring with you (excluding your previous triumphs and accolades).

Well obviously my testimony is a huge proponent to my writing. Hello, I write Christian fantasy. That all hinges on my faith in Christ. And so this transforming experience is very important to my writing. It defines it.

Enjoy.



Some of the things touched on in the video can't really be elaborated down here in any more detail. Pretty much every experience is a source of writing material. If you've written for any amount of time you know this. And the ones that provide the best material are the really hard ones.

And this one tried the very ground upon which I stood.

I screwed up. And it brought into perspective the direction my life was headed, my identity in Christ, and what this faith really meant. And that fuels my writing.

For example. When I write about abandonment or about loneliness, I can do it really well. Why? Because I've been there. I've lived there. I've experienced that. I was dragged away from my friends several different times. I've had family members betray me. I've had strained relationships that eventually fell apart.

What makes me a writer is that I can channel that emotion into a story and make my readers feel the same way.

When I write a character that is searching for meaning, I can do that because I've been there. I've searched. I've cried out in desperation for something to hold onto.

A rebellious character--been there done that. I stared my God in the face and said, "I don't care what you think." And ran the opposite direction.

A servant--been there.

And this is the skill that makes writing come alive. Experience. The ability to take the life you've been given, the life you've screwed up, and turn that into an emotional thrill ride of a novel.

Some things, obviously, I have to fake. I've never been physically abused, for example. But sometimes a story demands I write such a character. So because I have these other experiences, I can guess what that must feel like and create a realistic character.

What experiences help you to write?

Let's chat.

To the end,
Nathan

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... haven't watched the video yet, but can't wait to!!

What experiences...? Hmmm. Well, when we moved two states away from where I had lived for all of my life, I was sad and sort of angry at my parents. I've since realized that if I'd stayed in that community of friends, I might have done some wrong things. I also realized that if I hadn't met people here, I wouldn't be where I am today! So when I write now, I channel that into it. I can make my characters really angry at things, and it surprises me! Other stories that I've heard from friends help me, too- their experiences, and how it helped them become who they are today.

Thanks for posting!!
daughteroflight

Mrs. Ring said...

Go through the process - how do you fake - write about something you haven't experienced?

Brayden.Hirsch said...

Man, this is awesome. Never met you, but from this you seem like such a great guy. And a great writer, too - I hope I don't sound like a stalker when I say that, but you know, it's true. Most people don't have the guts to go online and talk about their faith like this - you do. It's awesome. Keep up the good work!

K.M. Weiland said...

Great post. I believe the arts - particularly writing - are one of the most powerful things any Christian can do. Even in stories in which we're not directly writing about God, we're hopefully still allowing Him to speak through us and (even more hopefully) touch the lives of others in ways subtle and profound.

Anonymous said...

Just watched it.... Wow. Thanks so much!

daughteroflight

The Director said...

Wow. Your testimony video blessed me so much, you don't even know. Your humble spirit before the Lord and your honesty totally touched me.

(whoa, my vision just blurred... am I tearing up?)

The video was encouraging and convicting..... thanks so so much and Lord bless.

-A Child of God

Nathan R. Petrie said...

@DOL, I know exactly what you mean :D Isn't it awesome how God uses those expierences to mold us? And ultimately for you to reach out to someone else in the future.

Thanks for all your encouragement Daughteroflight. I wish the best for you :D

@Brayden, Thanks for saying so! We need to chat again sometime soon ;) Thank you so much for your encouragement. Next time I'm in Canada...I'll hit you up for bacon ;) LOL jk

@The Director, Thank you so much for saying so. I really needed that right now. God blessed you through this video, and he used you to bless me in response. Thank you so much.

God bless you, sister. :)

Nathan R. Petrie said...

@Ms. Weiland, Somehow I missed your comment LOL

I totally agree. Art conveys messages so well....and connects with so many people on so many levels. I pray almost every day that God would use my work to that kind of affect.

So yeah. Totally agree :D
thanks!

"Stand tall now and proclaim what you have seen, speak in whispered roars..."