Pages of Awesome

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Eternal Echoes



Recently I got to watch one of the greatest films ever made. It's my dad's all time favorite and he quotes it pretty darn often so I've been itching to watch it in a bad way. We sat at a Skyline Chili once as he explained to me in detail the plot line of most of the story and from that day on I'd been dying to watch it.

Well that day finally came. Just a couple days ago I saw for the first time the movie Gladiator.


I don't know how many of you have seen it, and the point of this post is not to review the movie, but it's pretty stinking amazing. The writing is pure brilliance, battle scenes are epic, and the plot moved me in incredible ways.


And now today is Thanksgiving.


I"m not sure how many of you recall last year's Thanksgiving Day post but it's funny because it runs along the same lines as today's.


There's a quote at the very beginning of the movie. The main character, Maximus, is a general in the Roman army. Their legions are standing on the final battlefield, the last that this war should ever see. Maximus gathers his cavalry behind enemy lines and reminds them simply:


"What we do in life...echoes in eternity."


Excuse the poor quality of the video, I just stole someone's from Youtube, but watch the scene below.




This quote is tremendously powerful I think. Especially for us as Christians, the Royal Remnant if you recall last year's post. We are charging into battle, a battle to defend the purity of this holiday, the honor of our God, and the truth that we have inside of us.


In this day and age the truth and majesty, the power, of Jesus Christ is denied. And it is up to us to stand against the tide and fight for his banner.


There once was a dream that was America. A dream of a nation that raised hands together in one accord and praised the One True God that had delivered them from their chains. There once was a dream of life, liberty, and the pursuit of God's own heart.


The pilgrims knew this that first Thanksgiving day. They threw down the gauntlet and declared that God was God. They praised him for his powerful work in bringing them to this great land, for rescuing them from persecution. They formed the line, and charged into battle. And their actions sent tremendous reverberations throughout eternity.


They are remembered today as pioneers of a new age and a new world. A new world that would become the first of true freedom and liberty.


Now the torch has passed to us, hundreds of years later.

Will you fight?


Hold the line. Stay with me.


My brothers, what we do in life...echoes in eternity.

5 comments:

Noah Arsenault said...

I love this movie too. I saw it for the umpteenth time a few days ago!

I whole-heartedly agree with you.

Israle Surrnak said...

Incredible movie. And yes, amazing post.

Daniel White said...

Aaaaah! Gladiator! Love that film! Glad you enjoyed it.

Ian said...

*Sighs* Great, now I have another movie that I have to think about watching....:P

:)Ian(:

Nathan R. Petrie said...

My favorite Noah :D Thanks!

@Israle, thank you so much :D Let's keep the charge going this New Year ;)

@Daniel, every line of that movie...amazing haha

@Ian, you really need to :P It's fantastic :D

"Stand tall now and proclaim what you have seen, speak in whispered roars..."