Pages of Awesome

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Where in the World is Nathan Petrie?

That's a question I'm always asking. :D But I'm sure any reader of this blog is probably thinking the same thing. You know, assuming you actually read this thing once in a while (which I'm so thankful for my many readers). And, as usual, I"ve been up to no good. And for all those interested, here's what my life has been like. And what I"m looking forward to.
The biggest thing that has kept me busy has been marching band. The season just ended a few weeks ago but until then I was busy with my saxophone just about every night. This being my first year in the program, I wasn't sure what to expect. It was both extremely fun and extremely time consuming. It ate away at a lot of my writing and free time but it was definitely an experience worth having. I"m glad I marched and will likely march again next year. It was a lot of work, but it was really fun.

[I"m on the far right]

I've had lots of books to keep me busy. I won a copy of Imaginary Jesus a while back and the author mailed me to copy about a month later. The book was not only hilarious, but insightful and helpful to my Christian walk.

I also picked up a copy of Radical by David Platt. Seriously guys....if you want to take your faith seriously, I'd highly recommend this book. It challenged me in ways I can't even begin to explain and has redefined a lot of things about my faith. The book rocked and for those of you with a blog, Waterbrook Press (the publisher of Radical) has a sweet new review program and you can snag this book for free!!

As for fiction, I've been reading Masters and Slayer by Bryan Davis (AWESOME!) and re-reading The Door Within by Wayne Thomas Batson for reasons I'll go into later in this post. Sometime before December I'm going to reread The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. You know, get hyped for the epic new movie coming out soon!

At school my classes are getting more difficult, and therefore more time consuming, which has also sucked away a good chunk of Internet vegging. I'm pretty excited/scared for the rest of this year. Just looking at my class schedule makes me feel educated LOL

Since the close of marching band and the rebeginning of my social life I've been diving head first back into writing. And I"m pretty excited about what's happening in that area.

1. I submitted the first half of my novella, The Chains of Hethra, to a scholarship contest called the Overture Awards. It's a pretty prestigious award given out by an Arts organization in my area and I've got a pretty good shot at winning this thing. My guidance counselor loved the story and the AP Senior English teacher, though providing a lot of criticism, seemed to believe in the work as well. Having that backing always feels good, you know?

2. I'm working on a previously mentioned short story to submit to the National Scholastic Art and Writing Awards. My teacher keeps bugging me to submit and since I already have that awesome idea for a story, I"m giving it a whirl. Reading the submissions that won in the previous years I'm pretty sure I can place pretty high in this contest (having a separate category for Fantasy helps ;) lol). This story is going to be awesome. I'll likely post it here once the contest is over with.

3. My novel is still in the rut while I decide what to do about the plot issues. On a whole I've decided not to move forward with stretching it to 75,000 words as I'd originally planned. I just don't think it's possible to make the story that long. The plan as of right now is to try to find a way to combine the 20 or so thousand words at the beginning to the 20 or so thousand at the end. So I'm shooting for somewhere between 5 and 10K in the middle. Here's hoping for a spark of creativity!

4. Not stretching the TCOH novel is good news in disguise. It means you all get to read the story faster, and that I can start writing my other novel sooner! I should be able to breeze through the beginning drafts of this one since I have such a good outline to work with. And then I can work on getting that one edited and eventually published.

Oh and on the negative side of life the space bar on my computer broke :( Which has kept me from typing my writing and from updating this blog. Currently I"m using my dad's computer LOL

So that's what I've been up to. Stay tuned for news on some EXTREME SNEAKINESS that involves author Wayne Thomas Batson!

In the meantime, what have you been up to? And what would you like me to do a blog post/series on? I've got some ideas but I want yours!

I'm all ears :D

To the end,
-Nathan

6 comments:

Eldra said...

Welcome back to the world of Bloggie! One quick question, did you give away the t-shirt yet? Just curious, as I can't seem to find any mention of you doing so.

Jake said...

SNEAKINESS! :D I know about it already, methinks. XD

Anonymous said...

Sneakiness? Hmmm... does it have to do with The Sword in the Stars? (An amazing book so far, btw!!)

Post on random things. Writing tips mainly- I need more of those. Movies like VDT would be cool.

Can't wait for the sneakiness!
daughteroflight

Barie said...

OMIGOSH! Nathan Petrie still exists!! I thought you were dead.. like me...

Seth said...

Hmmm... Now I want to read Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I really hope that I can accomplish that before December 10th haha.

Squeaks said...

O.o Back!! I agree, Barie...I did believe Nathan got sucked into a whirlpool and pulled into another planet o.O

I'm anxious to see this TCOH (aside from the excerpt I've already read!)

About the sneakiness of WTB...methinks I know what you refer to *smiles @ Jake and other WTB fans* mwahaha...

Signed with snails,

Squeaks.

"Stand tall now and proclaim what you have seen, speak in whispered roars..."