Pages of Awesome

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Team Writers


Breaking Dawn just came out. Cue screaming fan girls. I'm not a Twilight fan by any stretch of the word and no, I am not at all about to write a post about the Twilight novels. But Team Jacob, Team Edward makes for a good title.
.
Team Writers.
.
I sat down after a month or so to finally respond to an email from my friend Scott Appleton. You may know him from his Sword of the Dragon series (Swords of the Six, Offspring, etc). His friendly off hand comment about my novel Chains of Hethra got me thinking: I need to write--I need to write now.
.
Had anyone else mentioned the book, I likely would have cringed at my lack of writing and moved on. But not Scott. Not a fellow writer.
.
Something about other writers is all around encouraging. Professional or amateur there is a certain camaraderie that stirs me, and I hope them as well, on. Their encouragement is such a great kindler of stories. Why?
.
Because someone else is creating new worlds and minds and meeting old and new friends in strange places. They know the pleasure and the pain of storytelling. They know--and they want you to write with them.
.
Keep your friends close and your writers closer. You never know when you'll need their words.
.
Like that pic, you might be the next Inklings.
.
To the end,
Nathan

5 comments:

R.P.H said...

I'm so happy to hear that you are getting back to your writing! I was just thinking about your book and wondering if I would see and hopefully read it someday. I was even going to fb you about it. Really happy to hear this my friend. You have been blessed with a gift and God is going to use you in BIG ways :-)Stay at it and don't lose heart.
God's care,
~Ryan

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're writing again - I've been busy, too, but I've started writing again and it's been really great so far. It felt weird (in a good way) to write again and it made me nearly giddy! I hope your writing goes well!

daughteroflight

Donny Yodel said...

At last! He appears from his cave in real life to acknowledge his fellow writers and readers. I was watching for you. Welcome back!

I know exactly what you mean. There is nothing like the encouragement of a writer, friend or mere acquaintance. I write by it.

~ Gwendolyn

Eruantien Nenharma said...

Huzzah! : )

Yeah, I'm a new follower of your blog, but it looks very interesting so far! I look forward to reading through it. XD

What you said about fellow writers is so true. I feel a lot more comfortable talking about my writing with my four writer friends than I do with my own family. So true. ; )

Nathan R. Petrie said...

@Ryan, looks like we did end up talking on FB about it ; )

@DOL, Thanks much! It does feel weird sometimes :) But good. Very good ;)

@Gwen, Hope you're still watching! We haven't talked in a while, and I totally agree :)

@Eruantien, Thanks much for following and complimenting! Means a lot as I'm sure you know!

Other writers understand what it's like, and understand how much it means. The family...sometimes they just don't "get" it ;)

-Nathan Keeneye

"Stand tall now and proclaim what you have seen, speak in whispered roars..."