Pages of Awesome

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Gov. School for the Arts: Word War

I have two days until I leave for Transylvania University for three weeks of unprecedented writing and training in the craft. That makes today the negative third day of GSA.

Today I'm shopping for weird things I didn't know I needed: shorts, underwear, and a watch. Yeah...I don't get to have my phone out for three weeks. Fun and exciting.

As I reviewed the packets of information given to me by the GSA staff, a thought hit me: I have no idea what to expect. Pages and pages titled "What to Excpet" read, and I still don't have a clue. And that's okay, isn't it?

So what did I do? The only thing I know how to--pile up notebooks filled with writing, printed short stories and poems, and set them on the table. Just because they're fun to look at.

Here's a look at my schedule for the next three weeks:

8AM - 8:50AM           Breakfast
9AM - 9:50AM           Morning Presentation / Performance and Announcements
10AM - 12:55PM        Discipline Specific Classes
1PM - 2PM                  Lunch
2PM - 6PM                  Discipline Specific and Interdisciplinary Classes
6PM - 7PM                  Dinner
7PM - 10PM                Art Events and "Studio Time"

Now I know what you're thinking. Nathan, what do these words mean: performances, interdisiplinary classes, art events, studio time? My answer? I have no idea.

Interdiscipline: Will my writing be set to music? My stories illustrated? Will I be interpreting music into poetry? Images into story? Will I be writing plays for the drama students?

Who knows, and who cares. It's going to be a fun three weeks. And I'll be doing a lot of writing, which rocks.

And with that comes my challenge:

I, Nathan R. Petrie, do hearby challenge any and all writers from across all the world and all areas of life, to write, and write often, and to write as much as they possibly can.

And if any dare, attempt to match or pass my GSA writing wordcount, they will be mightily rewarded with...an emoticon and large, colored fonts.

Are there any brave enough?

I'll try to keep the interwebs updated. They may try and take my laptop ;)

Strength and Courage,
-Nathan

13 comments:

Ian said...

I really wish it was realistic for me to go to something like that...it would sure beat the local university I'm attending right now.

But in the meantime, I think that at this point I am obliged to say...

Bring it on!!

:Ian:

Nathan R. Petrie said...

Well this is only a three week program, and for highschoolers so....

Awesome! One challenger so fast :D

Jake said...

Hm. I've got a problem...I'm outlining. Maybe I can finish the outline and get going on the story, but I doubt it. Still, for what it is worth...I accept! D:< (Game face.) Have at thee, Keeneye!

Does it "start" when you get to that program, or does it start now? ;) I'm finishing a short story tonight, so that'd be an extra 1.5k...

Belac said...

I think I'll try it! I am working o my first novel and have needed some motive. Though right now I am doing drivers training:( hopefully I can still write a LOT!!! When do these three weeks start???

whisper said...

I'm in. ^_^ Tally-ho!

Eruantien Nenharma said...

I'm game. I'll fail, but whatever. XD

Nathan R. Petrie said...

@Jake, we'll count your outlines for half the words you anticipate them leading to ;)

You all can start counting tonight. I won't start until Sunday (17th)

@Belac, You can start now. My count doesn't start until Sunday the 17th. Hope you can get some writing done too!

Awesome Whisper!
Awesome Eruantien!

I plan on blogging turing the program, and if I do you can post your word counts on some of those posts. If not, just post here :)

Lauren Claire said...

Three weeks of writing? I'm in. Except for the fact that I still have a week and half of being a Camp Counselor. :/ But it will be fun. I need to find a way to write this summer anyway.

Jliessa44 said...

I'm in. Idk my word count, but if I hcan get a chapter a day I'll be happy.

Jake said...

So my story ended up being longer than I anticipated...so I'm at 3,500 words already. ;) MWAHAHAHAHA! I'll work on finishing the outline this week and get crackin' on the actual writing ASAP. ^_^

But for fairness's sake...I'm going to have to win by a margin of at least that much. ;)

Nathan R. Petrie said...

@Lauren, sounds like a blast! What camp? Hope you stay with us :)

@Jliessa, A chapter a day keeps the laziness away...or however that saying goes ;) A chapter a day is awesome! If I could still do that, my life would be very good :)

@Jake, No worries. You won't :)

Linx Silvarro said...

I'm at 2,209 words. Not much, but it's something.

Nathan R. Petrie said...

Everyone post your final word counts (ending on this past Sunday) on the new blog post!

"Stand tall now and proclaim what you have seen, speak in whispered roars..."