Pages of Awesome

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

GSA Day 2: Wish I Could Say More...

Click HERE for GSA's website--filled with videos and pictures of what we're doing during the program! I'm actually in Day One's video! So, check it out!!

Blogger isn't letting me post pictures, due to the college's computer system so unfortunately you'll have to check them out on GSA's site if you are interested. And please do! They are very cool.

Today's program began with a "performance" by a filmmaker. He showed clips from his new documentary entitled, "Carbonation" (or some variation of that) about global warming. A lot of his arguments were slippery at best, but his point was different and refreshing. He didn't come to convince us that we should believe in climate change or die. He came to tell us that we all actually agree on most solutions to cilmate change, energy, etc. And should take steps toward what we agree instead of where we disagree.

In studio today, we, again, worked on poetry. This time we focused on three aspects: detail, music, and story.

For detail, Kelly Norman Ellis (one of our instructors) read one of her own poems which she referred to as an "Inventory" poem. Essentially, it was a long list of all the things in her grandfather's gas station and what they meant to her. The point was this--be specific. Put simply she said;

"Give things the dignity of their names."

The idea that a specific name speaks for itself.

Now, my poem in response to this was garbage. But what I took away, that details are important, is very useful.

When talking about the music of poetry, I think this is a very obvious part of writing poetry. Rhythm, alliteration, possible rhyme or no rhyme, etc. We read the poem "The Tour" and were then challenged to write a poem with a strong sense of place and movement. I called my piece "Brothers" and I think it turned out pretty well.

The best part of the workshop part of the day came during Ellen's turn to teach. She had us make a timeilne of our lives and mark world events and personal events. Then, after several readings of published poetry, ("Everything has to Change") we wrote a piece that connected a world event with a personal event.

This is my second favorite piece I've written so far. Very exciting.

At night we typed up and worked with pieces started in other workshops and free writes. My favorite piece came out of this: "The Maverick Red Mustang."

I won't post too much of my writing on here just yet--we're making chapbooks at the end of the week and I don't want to spoil it for my parents and others who may be reading and coming to hear.

And there's so much more to say: jam sessions, fuz ball, euchre, novel chats, fire drills at 12:30 AM, and so much more!

Suffice to say, I'm having a blast.

What sort of things have you written lately?

Strength and Courage,
-Nathan


7 comments:

Mom said...

love it nathan!! Can't wait to read all of what you have written! You are an incredible writer and I know you are becoming even more so with your craft.

Eruantien Nenharma said...

Awesome!

What have I written lately...hmm. Just poems, like you. Most of them are fantasy-related; I wrote one about the necessity of fairy tales and stories in the modern times, and magic in general. And I wrote one about Ireland. XD

Jake said...

Sounds fantastic! :) Best of luck!

I've written nil. Still hammering out my outline. But if I rush it, it won't end up well. :P

Eruantien Nenharma said...

Current word count: 1,456

Lauren Claire said...

Hmm...if we aren't counting blog posts, I've written roughly 1K on my novel "Melody of Courage." I would have written more, but life happens. It's been a rough week for me.

Nathan R. Petrie said...

Awesome work guys! Glad so many of you are writing!

Thanks mom!

Nathan R. Petrie said...

Everyone post your final word counts (ending on this past Sunday) on the new blog post!

"Stand tall now and proclaim what you have seen, speak in whispered roars..."