Pages of Awesome

Friday, March 1, 2013

Great with Child to Speak

I've been reading through a book of old poetry I snagged for a quarter at my library's used book sale. It never ceases to amaze me how constant human nature has been throughout history. We've written about the same things, felt the same things, and struggled with the same things. As a writer, this is interesting to me.

What's more interesting, is when writers write about their ruts--their struggle for artistic perfection. I came across a sonnet by Sir Phillip Sidney. It's worth sharing.

So let's read this together. I love every word. And together, let's do our duty as writers.

Loving in Truth
Sir Phillip Sidney

Loving in truth, and fain in verse my love to show,
That the dear she might take some pleasure of my pain,
Pleasure might cause her read, reading might make her know,
Knowledge might pity win, and pity grace obtain,
I sought fit words to paint the blackest face of woe:
Studying inventions fine, her wits to entertain,
Oft turning others' leaves, to see if thence would flow
Some fresh and fruitful showers upon my sunburned brain.
But words came halting forth, wanting Invention's stay;
Invention, Nature's child, fled stepdame Study's blows;
And others' feet still seemed but strangers in my way.
Thus, great with child to speak, and helpless in my throes,
Biting my truant pen, beating myself for spite:
"Fool," said my Muse to me, "look in thy heart, and write."


So do it! Write something! And tell me about it. "Turn others' leaves" with me.

Strength and Courage,
Nathan

No comments:

"Stand tall now and proclaim what you have seen, speak in whispered roars..."